We know that facials are good for the skin, but what is really happening during a facial? Each step serves a different purpose and a skilled esthetician or therapist will know the best option for you after examining your skin. If you’re searching for a facial treatment in midtown Toronto, you may be curious about what will be happening to your skin during your visit.
The Process Your Skin Goes Through During a Facial Treatment in Midtown Toronto
Each step of a facial is beneficial to the skin, and each step is performed with the others in mind. The points below illustrate what is happening to the skin during a facial.
- Steam Cleanse: Most facials begin with applying steam to the face. This step helps prepare the skin for absorption of the ingredients used in the mask or peel. Steam softens the skin and prepares any whiteheads or blackheads for extraction. Steam also improves circulation of blood under the skin which promotes the rejuvenation of cells.
- Exfoliation: One of the primary ways a facial benefits the skin is to exfoliate on a deeper level than can be achieved at home. A therapist or esthetician will be able to determine which technique best suits your skin. Exfoliation occurs when dead skin cells are removed and new cells are revealed. During a facial this is achieved primarily through the use of a mask or peel. This process smooths the texture of the skin, hydrates, and helps improve the appearance of lines or wrinkles.
- Detoxification: We may not realize it, but toxins are constantly building up in our body. During a facial, massage techniques are applied to the lymphatic system of the face. This releases toxins that have built up under the skin and helps improve blood circulation. Steam along with the mask or peel applied to the face also aid in circulation and detoxification.
- Extractions: During a facial, your therapist or esthetician may need to perform extractions in order to remove whiteheads or blackheads, also called comedones. They will most likely use steam to loosen the congestion and open pores so they can effectively perform the extractions, making sure no additional dirt or oils are pushed back into the pores. A deep pore cleansing may occur after extractions, which ensures that pores are unclogged and the skin is hydrated.
- Moisturizing: The last step of a facial usually includes the application of a moisturizer, serum, or sunscreen. This works to keep the new cells hydrated and protected. Your esthetician can advise you on further care that needs to happen on a daily basis at home after your facial treatment in midtown Toronto.
Our skin is a very important. Unfortunately many people don’t take the proper care to ensure healthy skin. If you’re concerned with the condition of your face, you may need to speak to an esthetician to find out if you could benefit from a facial treatment. Midtown Toronto estheticians at Urb Organic Spa can help answer any questions you may have. Call today at 647- 344-7451.